Monday, March 09, 2009

The Abstraction of Nature



"In some sense, the physical world is no longer as real to us as the economic world - we cosset and succor the economy; our politicians gear every decision to speeding its further growth. So if someone says, 'Ending our reliance on fossil fuels will harm the economy,' that settles the issue. By contrast, if someone says, 'Relying on fossil fuels is wrecking the planet,' it seems an almost irrelevant objection - the Earth has become abstract, and the economy concrete, to us."

Bill McKibben, The End of Nature


I came across these words jotted down in an old journal of mine. And with them my thoughts: It's as though we treat Earth as our mother. And like a mother, we expect unconditional love, and unconditional forgiveness. Everything will be rectified, if we screw up, by mother earth.

6 comments:

Michael said...

Wow! That's amazing. I'd never thought about it that way, but it's so true, so profound! Thanks, you've made my day, maybe my week (and it's only Monday)!

Alison Dyer said...

Hello Michael. Hmm, I wish I could make your day with some more positive thoughts :) still, any credit to wonderful writer Bill McKibben. Alison

kate smudges said...

Unfortunately, some things can't be rectified. The words of Mr. McKibben are so true.

Tony said...

In the corporate world nothing is allowed to stand in the way of the almighty buck. Somehow, I've come to accept that I cannot make everything right. I am able to mitigate my impact on nature but can't control my neighbour. At least I am at peace with myself over these kinds of issues.

Tony :-)

Alison Dyer said...

Until the current untenable model is challenged...........

The Seven Settlements Kayak Expedition said...

Hi Alison

Just wanted to say that having just found your blog I appreciate the blend of quotes, kayaking stories and the environment.

Chris
Uummannaq, Greenland