Monday, May 26, 2008

8th Annual KNL Retreat

It was great. Terrific guests Bryan Smith and Fergus (forgive me but it's on the KNL website). However, I reneged again on any river stuff but did 3 new paddles: around Swale Island (finding a fantastic cave behind a waterfall - five kayaks inside and still more room); up Bloody Reach (didn't look for Beothuk artifacts, but lots of Osprey); out from Wild Cove around Cow Head (impressive headland with a nice sea running) near Salvage. Lunched on Sailor's Island - another resettled community and gorgeous spot for camping. Bloody big bits of ice (think small mountain) out in the bay--we figured about 1 1/2hrs one way paddle so gave it a miss. Eagles, seals, yada yada. Oh yes, and we partied hard at night too.

No camera, no photos. But check out Stan's website for some. (And Neil's on yesterday's trip in Placentia Bay.)

First pond practice tonight. Bob G smiling into hand rolls and I'm grimacing at the thought of 6 degree water--though that's appreciably more than the 1 or 2 degrees paddled in Bonavista Bay. Finally grin and bear it and roll. Not so bad. Thank you Kokatat!

4 comments:

Michael said...

Sailor's Island? Nice spot. Did you ever see the videos of my visit there last summer (on YouTube)? Good memories!

Alison Dyer said...

Hi Michael, YouTube- no my audio is still knocked out and to be truthful I'm surprised I have a blog, given my Ludditeness.

clairesgarden said...

nice to see you're out paddling, not been out yet myself this year. i can't imagine looking at iceberg!!

Alison Dyer said...

Hello Claire - sorry, just back from 12 days visiting family in Ontario. No icebergs - just a glorious 30 degrees - and today stepping off plane into 7 degrees and drizzle! I may just go to bed for a day or two :( Ah, well, I did miss the ocean & paddling. Hope you get out soon too. Alison