Sunday, December 30, 2007

2008: The Year of Food Sense


(Photo: root cellar Ladle Cove, NL, Alison Dyer 2007)
"The average food item on a U.S. grocery shelf has travelled farther than most families on their annual vacation..." Barbara Kingsolver in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, 2007
"If every U.S. citizen ate just one meal a week (any meal) composed of locally and organically raised meats and produce, we would reduce our country's oil consumption by over 1.1 million barrels of oil every week." Steven L. Hopp in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, 2007.
What's your new year's resolution?
Keep it simple. Local. Make it count.

4 comments:

clairesgarden said...

have replied to you with my e-mail address. if its not come through try forget-me-not at bigfoot.com
I am down to sprouts and parsnips for one or two more meals, then the chard will keep going for a wee bit longer and I still have some onions stored, enough for a few pots of soup. and some courgettes in the freezer.
its obviousy much easier to eat from the garden in the summer.
many blessings for the coming year.

Alison Dyer said...

thanks Claire. A
Actually down to sprouts, parsnips, onions sound pretty tasty. Roasted parsnips are a fav of mine, and I make a killer curried parsnip soup for my kids school lunches. I have to grow more this year! blessing to you, too. A

Michael said...

Glad to note that you've discovered this book too! It's a gem in my opinion and gives us all 'food for thought'...

Alison Dyer said...

Hello Michael, yes, Barbara Kingsolver is probably my favourite author and I've been waiting for another book from her since the Small Wonder collection. I have to laugh (groan) when she says spring doesn't arrive til April at her farm. Here I'm staring at another 2 months before breaking ground :)
Alison